Small hand-painted Radford Pottery rosebud vase
Small table vase for a rose or small posy made by Radford Pottery (like many post-War small pieces by Radfords, marked only with Made in England, but with the pattern letters EG which was one of their two letter design identifiers).
Edward T B Radford, born in 1882, was the son of one of the leading potters at Pilkingtons (Royal Lancastrian) in Pendlebury, Greater Manchester. Edward joined his father, Edward (senior) at Pilkingtons around 1905. Edward's (junior) ceramic career was interrupted when he served in the First World War, and when he returned he moved to Stoke-on-Trent acting as an independent agent for various manufacturers in the pottery trade. Around 1930 he established the Radford Handcraft Pottery, under the umbrella of H J Wood Ltd at the Alexandra pottery in Burslem. Radford's main output was vases, jugs and bowls, in a range of floral, stylised landscape and art deco designs. The pottery was hand thrown and finished with a matt glaze. Relatively successful, production was able to continue through the Second World War, but in 1948 Radford retired to Derbyshire, before returning to Manchester where he died in 1969.
After Radford's retirment, Woods continued making pottery using the same trademark for many years, though the wares were moulded rather than handthrown. A few patterns were still the same as the pre-War designs, but many new patterns were added. These were still handpainted with flowers over a subtle colourwash on the white clay. The base is usually marked with a two-letter pattern number, identifying the design. As well as jugs and vases, the company produced a range of items in the same patterns, including plates, condiment sets and toast racks.
- Height approx. 10cm
- Diameter at rim approx. 3.5cm
- Diameter at widest point approx. 6.5cm